Information about women’s car insurance
- If you are paying less than £200 a year for comprehensive insurance cover, congratulations! You are unlikely to be under 25 and are doing very well.
- If you are under 25, regardless of gender, you will probably save money buying black box insurance, providing you are prepared to drive within speed limits, sometimes daylight hours, smoothly and with evident consideration for others.
- If you are between 30 and 60 years and you are being sold a black box insurance policy you may want to think again. Until black boxes are compulsory, or one is already fitted in your car, you will have to pay extra having a black box fitted/monitored simply to prove the fact that you are a safe driver. And chances are your insurer knows this already from your past claims record. As we see it, not everyone benefits from black box technology (other than the already rich telematic companies, that is).
Car insurance buying advice for women
- If you are a novice driver we strongly recommend the Pass Plus training course. Yes it means more lessons but it’ll make you a better/safer driver and many insurers will give you a significant discount.
- Similarly if you are a nervous motorist or one returning to driving after bereavement, divorce, an accident or road rage incident we recommend the IAM’s Skill For Life programme. FOXY Club members get a discount and this will also be reflected in any FOXY Lady Insurance premium.
- Club members can save £10 buying a new camera device (called a dash cam) that’s fitted to the dashboard – increasingly insurers are offering discounts knowing this will often demonstrate claim liability beyond reasonable doubt.
- Do your homework first. Know your car details, any no claims bonus (NCB) entitlement, your (and any partner’s) driving record and any speeding points.
- Consider multiple vehicle cover for all family cars/drivers. One policy SHOULD be cheaper than the cost of many policies but always check that you COULD unpick this and claim your accrued no claims bonus, should you need to do this in future.
- Tell the insurer your likely annual mileage – if low, this SHOULD reduce the premium.
- Ask what their maximum no claims bonus (NCB) is. If you’re entitled to the maximum (c4 years no claims history) and it’s less than 70% NCB there may well be a better deal out there.
- Never lie or cover up anything. Similarly economic forgetfulness is no excuse in law and COULD invalidate your insurance when you need it most.
- Always compare your renewal quote with another, even if you’re very busy. If you register for a quote with FOXY Lady Insurance in advance they’ll contact you to verify this at renewal time. We call this personal service but it’s quite rare…
- If you are cutting back on cover to save money, be sure you know precisely what that means. Third Party covers anyone or anything you hit but not your car. Third Party Fire and Theft is the same but adds protection against fire or theft of your vehicle. Comprehensive cover gives you all this AND vehicle protection, even if you cause the damage yourself. There is often very little difference between these cover levels so we always recommend comprehensive cover as you get so much more peace of mind.
- Always read the small print; sometimes the cover is so restrictive it may never pay out! Be on the look out for high excesses – it’s reasonable to expect to pay the first £100 or £150 of any claim but think twice if this is £400+ as some are now – this COULD be more of a gamble than an insurance policy!
- Before choosing the lowest rate regardless, ask about any special features that might be included, or available at a fraction of the retail cost. For example, the likes of lost key cover, legal expenses, breakdown cover, a protected no claims bonus or even an accident/camera kit for your glovebox (in case your phone battery is low should you have an accident) are all low cost extras and can be good for your peace of mind.
- If you prefer to pay monthly, many insurers will offer this on a direct debit basis; it’ll be more expensive in total of course.
- Bogus (and inflated) insurance claims are costing honest motorists c£30 each a year. If you know of an insurance claim that isn’t genuine please report it to the Insurance Fraud Bureau’s Cheat Line on 0800 328 2550. It’s the right thing to do and it’s confidential…
For check your best car, classic car, motorcycle, home or travel insurance renewal terms, women can request a quote from FOXY Lady Insurance in advance, to coincide with their next renewal. They’ll then contact you to see if they can improve on your renewal terms and content, including membership of FOXY Lady Drivers Club into the bargain!
“We are committed to the highest levels of customer service and will always represent the best interests of women by listening to their needs before identifying value-for-money and female friendly insurance solutions we know and can recommend.”
FOXY Lady Insurance’s Mission Statement (2015)
FOXY Lady Drivers Club | 35 Goring Road | Steyning BN44 3GF
Tel: 01903 879988 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our most recent awards include:
Outstanding Contribution To The Motor Industry, IMI Award, 2015
Winner, TyreSafe Online and Social Media Award, 2014
Top 25 Dickies UK Worker of the Year Award, 2014
Silver Website Award, MumpreneurUK, 2014
SBS Winner, a Theo Paphitis Business Award, 2014
Online Business Woman of the Year Award, 2013
Top 100 Mums In Business Award Winner, 2012
See above for correspondence address. FOXY Lady Drivers Club Limited is a not for profit company limited by guarantee, registered in England & Wales No 08044120 and registered for VAT, number 134 2286 32.